Beans & Grains
20 – 30 Min
8 – 10 Servings
- 2 cans (15.5 oz.) cans black beans (do not drain)
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, diced (remove ribs and seeds with gloves on)
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1 – 1 ½ cups salsa, or 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Sauté onions, jalapeno and bell peppers over medium high heat until soft and onions are translucent, adding garlic for the last minute or two.
- Add black beans and liquid to onions and peppers. Mix and heat to simmer.
- Add salsa or tomatoes and oregano and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add liquid (vegetable or chicken broth) if bean mixture thickens substantially.
- If you’re a cilantro lover (many are not) add cilantro before serving.
- Serve over rice or grain mixture outlined in the blog post, or combine, using equal parts beans and rice/grains.